Illogan Parish Council is committed to complying with the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act 2018 to ensure that people’s privacy is respected and protected.
This Policy sets out how we use and share personal information which may be collected on paper, by email, telephone or in person.
We collect use, hold and share where necessary, information for the following purposes:
- To deal with the service that you requested and to allow us to be able to communicate and provide services appropriate to your needs and to monitor our performance in responding to your request;
- To ensure we meet our legal obligations;
- To prevent and detect fraud and crime;
- To process financial transactions including grants, payments, invoices involving us;
- To conduct research and surveys to allow for the statistical analysis of data so we can plan the provision of services;
- Where you have consented to the processing; and
- Where otherwise permitted under the Data Protection legislation.
It applies to information we collect about:
- Service provision;
- Visitors to our website;
- People who contact us via social media;
- People who call the Council Office and Councillors;
- People who email us;
- People who make a complaint to us.
What information we collect
We may collect and process the following types of information provided by you:
- Telephone number(s);
- Email address(s);
- Employment history for employees; and
- Any other data as notified to you from time to time.
How we collect data
Information provided by you:
- Correspondence including letters, emails and telephone calls;
- Responding to surveys (these are usually anonymous);
- Entering a competition held or promoted by us; and
- Reporting problems regarding our services, sites etc.
Illogan Parish Council does not collect personal information from the public on the website. Any contact details provided will be retained for the Council to respond to you.
Personal information will be anonymised before it is circulated to Councillors or discussed at a Council meeting.
Any information you supply to the Council via feedback forms, surveys, through email enquiries will only be used for the purpose for which you provided it.
The Council will ask for your permission before they use your information for any other reasons than which you have provided it.
Visitors to our Website
People who contact us via social media
Any private messages sent by social media will not be shared with any other organisations.
Any comments on posts or posts to the Council’s Facebook page will be publicly visible and will remain on the page indefinitely.
People who telephone us
Telephone calls are not recorded, and caller id is not used.
We may keep a written record of calls you make to us to maintain customer service and to assist us to deal with your enquiry.
People who email us
Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you send is within the bounds of the law.
People who make a complaint to us
We will store your information securely and will only use your information in relation to the processing and consideration of your feedback. Details of the subject matter raised may be shared with Councillors in reports to help with improvements and to monitor our level of service, but this is anonymised and does not include personal details of the person submitting the feedback.
The information you provide will be shared with the Councillors; if further processing is needed you will be advised of this. Where we need to liaise with a third party who provides services on the Council’s behalf, we will only share details of the issue and not your personal information.
We will keep your personal information contained in complaint files for up to 6 years from the date your enquiry was closed. This information is retained in a secure environment.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) includes the following rights for individuals:
- The right to be informed;
- The right of access – You have the right to obtain confirmation that your data is being processed, to access your personal data and supplementary information;
- The right to rectification – your personal data can be rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete. If the data has been disclosed to a third party the Council will inform them of the changes that need to be made to the data;
- The right to erasure – this is also known as the right to be forgotten. The Council will delete or remove all of your personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing or when you withdraw consent for your data to be processed;
- The right to restrict processing – this allows you to block or suppress processing of your personal data. The Council reserves the right to retain just enough information about you to ensure that the restriction is respected in the future;
- The right to object – you have the right to object to processing based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling), direct marketing and processing for purposes of scientific/historical research statistics; and
- The right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
You can exercise the above rights by contacting Illogan Parish Council at firstname.lastname@example.org
Complaints or Queries
Illogan Parish Council tries to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information. The Council takes any complaints received very seriously. We encourage people to bring it to our attention if they think that our collection or use of information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate. We also welcome any suggestions for improving our procedures.
If you want to make a complaint about the way we have processed your personal information, you can contact us at email@example.com
We would prefer any complaints to be made to us initially so that we can have the opportunity to see if we can put things right. However, if you are unhappy with the way we have processed your information or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your data, you can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Office:
Tel: 0303 123 113 or online: https://ico.org.uk/concerns
Access to Personal Information
Illogan Parish Council tries to be as open as possible in terms of giving people access to their personal information. Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the Data Protection legislation. If we do hold information about you we will:
- Give you a description of it;
- Tell you why we are holding it;
- Tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- Let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
To make a request to Illogan Parish Council for any personal information we may hold you need to put the request in writing addressing it to the Clerk at the address provided below.
If we do hold information about you, you can ask us to correct any mistakes, once again, by contacting the Clerk.
Disclosure of information
We may be required by law to share information about you with other organisations, you will always be informed of this sharing when you provide us with your information. If we don’t have a statutory duty to share information we will not disclose personal data without your consent.
Links to Other Websites
This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated on the 30th January2019.
How we use your information
We use information in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- To plan and manage our activities, possibly through researching and analysing your use of the site;
- To provide you with information about new ideas and facilities;
- To provide you with further or new information about, or access to, our services; and
- To notify you about changes to our service;
We will ask for your consent if we wish to use your personal information for any other purpose.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you will be stored on the Council’s shared drive and cloud storage provision.
Users under 18
A child’s privacy is very important to us. If you under the age of 18 and you do not understand parts of this policy, please ask your parent/guardian to explain it to you before contacting the Council.
If you are under 13 please ensure that you have obtained your parent/guardian’s permission before providing personal information to us.
We do not collect personal information from any child under 13, unless the child’s parent or guardian has specifically consented. If you are under 13 you must not provide any personal information to us without your parent/guardian being present. If you provide personal information to us with the consent of your parent/guardian you will be required to provide their email address so that they can receive copies of all emails and information sent to or received by you. The purpose of collecting a parent/guardian’s email address is to allow them to supervise your communications and any information you provide to us. If the parent/guardian refuses to provide an email address for this purpose, their consent will be revoked and you will not be permitted to provide us with personal information.
Accuracy of information
You are responsible for informing us when your personal details have changed. Notification of any change must be made in writing. It is then our responsibility to update our records accordingly.
Who is the data controller?
The Data Controller is Illogan Parish Council, Unit 2, Wheal Agar, Tolvaddon Energy Park, Tolvaddon, Camborne, Cornwall, TR14 0HX. Telephone – 01209 711433. Email – firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Data Protection Officer contact details: